Saturday, January 21, 2012

Steak and Sing-A-Longs

Friday was a bitterly cold day, so I was quite grateful to have no meetings outside. I was snug as a bug in my office, and even working on administrative tasks didn't seem so bad, as long as I could avoid being outdoors in the frigid winds.

J-Train wasn't so lucky though. He spent the day shopping, exploring, and then shopping some more. But right on time, we met at 6pm in the foyer of my building to walk home together and chat about our days, teeth chattering all the way.

We didn't hang out at home too long last night because I had made dinner reservations for us at Michael Jordan's Steakhouse (yes, THAT Michael Jordan). Our table overlooked the gorgeous main concourse at Grand Central Station, so the view was amazing. But the food was great too cause we had the three-course NY Restaurant Week menu ($35 per head). Tomato bisque with cheesy croutons, prime aged filet steak, potato gratin, baby carrots and then sticky date pudding and carrot cake for dessert. A bargain no doubt, but still way too much food - even for piggies like us.

After dinner, we waddled onto the cross-town bus into Hell's Kitchen to meet K&P at the truly dive bar, Tobacco Road for a 10pm show of Dueling Pianos. The two guys playing all the hits (Brad and Mark) were fantastic - so talented and their low-brow humour was just the tonic we needed to ease us - and the rest of the crazy crowd - into our weekend. The cheap American beer helped for sure. I requested a couple of terrible songs, but my primary objective was to simply embarrass J-Train by singing at the top of my lungs. I think he was just grateful that his Jack Daniels and Cokes were strong and plentiful. Yay, mission accomplished!

At 2am the show finished and we threw ourselves out of the pub and into the cold. We bundled up and marched straight into Papaya Dog for a much-needed hotdog. The odds-and-ends of animals slathered in ketchup, mustard and relish have never tasted so good, trust me. Yikes!

No comments: